Friday, January 27, 2006

Remove one of their boule

Arbiter.Hi Andy. Could you please consider the following hypothetical situation. I am playing in a tournament with no arbiter present. One of my opponents keeps lifting his foot whilst shooting. I warn him not to do this and clearly explain that this is against the rules. After I warn my opponent for a fourth time, I decide to give them a penalty and remove one of their boule. Am I within my rights to do this? Cheers, Tom van Bodegraven.
You can read Andy's answer by following the "comments" link below.

This is a new service in which Andy Gilbert (NZPA Arbiter) answers your questions. Email your question to me and I will post it to this Blog for Andy to ponder.
My email address is: bodebons(at)xtra.co.nz. Make sure you put "Petanque" in the subject line.

- Tom.

Don't forget to visit our new NZ Petanque Wiki site!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

HI Tom
Unfortunately, YOU cannot impose a penalty. Only an officiating Arbitre can impose and enforce a penalty on another player. In the spirit of sportsmanship,the opponent may agree s/he has breached the rules and self impose a penalty but that is unlikely to occur. Another issue to consider is that, generally the arbitre would want to have witnessed the breach occurring and would be unlikely to impose a penalty on the opponents complaint alone.Each arbitre will handle things differently. If I received a complaint such as the example given, I would approach the offending player and remind them officially of the rule and then keep an eye on the player (from the edge of the terrian) for repeated transgressions.If I spotted the player lifting his/her foot again I would probably penalise the player a boule to be played or the boule played when the offence occurred.
Hope that answer helps.
Andy Gilbert

NZPC Editor (Tom) said...

Thanks for being so clear with your answer.

Anonymous said...

Mike Pegg to be found at petanque.org will answer any tricky questions. He is considered a world authority. The forum is very interesting too.